Skip to main content

Access to Research: a hidden service?

Sort of following on from my last post, I thought I might try and write a post on 'Access to Research'. Since it found out it existed 3/4 years ago I've thought it was a brilliant idea, but one that seems strangely invisible to many. My observations are that no one seems to have heard of it outside of the public library sector, and even those within the public library sector seem uncertain of it. Rocking up to my local public library in Hungerford to check it out about several years back I was told by the Library Assistant (not volunteer, at least I don't think so) that yes they had it and it could be accessed on the computers over there but please don't ask any questions as she didn't know anything about it. Working in selectively accessible government libraries I have had cause to direct many a retired person wanting access to academic literature to it, though many seem put off by the fact that you actually have to go to the library. And well, as my anecdotal experience is not so hot, I've come to wonder how successful has it actually been?

Access to Research, if you've not used it or hear of it, is a public library discovery service for academic research literature. They use ProQuest Summon and you can search the contents here http://www.accesstoresearch.org.uk/search although not access the full text as that can only be done from participating public library premises. The coverage is good - 11400 titles, - all the journals indexed are listed here: http://eg9wt9kh6b.search.serialssolutions.com/. So it's a very valuable resource, but has it been well received? The literature was sparse, tumbleweed sparse, but I found a bit of information.

The Shared Intelligence report (2015) review of the pilot which ran until December 2015 (according to the report, although the A2R website says it ran from 2014-2016) was positive, although noted that stakeholders 'were anxious to see take-up increase'. From Jan to July 2016 there were 34,276 to the Summon database and 170,771 searches - there was no statistic for downloads although the 'majority' of searches (55.1%) took place within participating Library IP ranges. Users were primarily using it for research or personal interest and were generally older - I would guess retired - and educated. Training of staff was low (28%)

Griffin's 2016 article 'describes' rather than analyses the service. According to Griffin A2R was part of the move towards Open Access and is considered an interim solution as suggested by the Finch report (2012). He states that 'neither the libraries nor the public are charged for access to this content', and Summon was provided for free by ProQuest - non of which I was aware of. I had assumed this was costing someone a fortune but clearly not. Also might explain why it isn't massively advertised - how much free use to publishers want to provide? They manage this partly by having embargo periods of 6 months or so on key titles. The set up may also explain the lack of download statistics, as access is via a proxy and publishers (of which 6 are involved) membership is flexible. From my experience the full download picture from subscriptions and databases can complicated, and often the most straightforward figures come from the publishers rather than the discovery service, so perhaps the publishers aren't being asked to provide that data and perhaps there's no reason why they should.

Apart from those two references, it was very difficult to find anything further. An interesting titbit in Chelin (2015), an article about public and academic library cooperation, noted the launch of A2R and stated 'It could be argued that this might serve to dampen demand to access the resources of the local university library, but conversely, it might also provide taste of the kind of resources that access to the university library can only fully satisfy'. The library I work for, while not academic, looks at A2R as a potential solution for retired individuals who would like access, so this statement which makes A2R sound more like a tempter free month to Netflix than a solution to the requests from the public for access to closed collections I definitely one to ponder.

The 2016 Public libraries report, which seems to be the most recent one available, states only that 93% of public libraries are signed up and that the project will continue after the pilot.

And, well that's all I could find. If there's anything else out there i'd be interested to read it I really would.

What can I conclude then? Before I undertook this exercise, my perspective was this was a great concept being thwarted by publishers who were trying to make it as little used as possible, so wary were they of this undermining their university subs. My reading of the -very limited - literature suggests I may have been a bit (shocker) cynical and there is something genuinely positive about what publishers are trying to achieve here. I do find it odd that there aren't easily accessible annual statistics on usage but it is used and usage did go up through the pilot. Are the available statistics good for the whole UK? I don't know. Downloads would have been a better measure. How many of those searches were Librarians? I think it's quite probable that the reason A2R has limited research and exposure is due to a number of factors, and some of these are directly from the Shared Intelligence report:

1. Public library staff aren't trained to use it and don't feel confident using it
2. Public library staff have other things to worry about, like their jobs
2. It is too confusing for some, particularly the fact that it can be accessed from home but full text can't be
3. It is 'interim' - the focus for researchers tends to be on Open Access as that is the future. This is not.
4. SciHub has completely stolen it's thunder. Do you go to your public library for potential full text access, or do you go to SciHub for all the access? Depends on your perspectives around the illegality of SciHub, but many people either don't have qualms or don't really understand using it is illegal. But then again, are retired people knowledgeable about SciHub?

I still think this is a great service and public libraries should be shouting about it from the roof tops, but I get that it might not be their top priority. Still, projects like this give me hope for the future of publisher and library relationships. 

References

Chelin, J A (2015) Open doors: library cross-sector co-operation in Bristol, UK, Interlending and Document Supply, 43(2), pp.110-118. DOI: 10.1108/ILDS-02-2015-0006

Department for Culture, Media & Sport (2017) Report under the Public Libraries and Museums Act 1964 for 2016: A Report presented to Parliament pursuant to Section 17 of the Public Libraries and Museums Act 1964. Available at: https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/annual-report-to-parliament-on-public-library-activities-during-2016 [Accessed 24 September 2018].

Griffin, J (2016) "Access to Research": how UK public libraries are offering access to over 15 million academic articles for free, Interlending and Document Supply, 44(2), pp.37-43. DOI: 10.1108/ILDS-03-2016-0012

Shared Intelligence (2015) Access to Research: a report to the Publishers Licensing Society and the Society of Chief Librarians. October 2015. Available at: http://goscl.com/wp-content/uploads/Access-to-Research-final-report-Oct-2015.pdf [Accessed 24 September 2018].





Comments

Popular posts from this blog

What would the plebs want with research literature?

So in the last few months I have done something I never really expected to do; I applied for a PhD on Open Access. Now don't get over excited because I didn't get it, and in retrospect it might be a good thing. I wasn't particularly disappointed not to get it, and I suspect that project is better placed with someone not in full-time employment. But, it would have been great to do something that would actually have an impact on Open Access. Anyway, it did revitalise my interest in reading and writing about OA, or I think more accurately making information more accessible. That's probably the key here. Information can be as open as it likes but if it isn't accessible, if it is impenetrable to most people then it's 'real impact factor' is negligible. Having spent some time looking it OA literature (for the PhD proposal) it does seem as though impact factor is an academic obsession, which is understandable if completely uninteresting to a non-academic. Alt

Govt Libraries and OA

I am essentially a government librarian, these days a fairly rare breed although I don't think we're on the path to extinction quite yet. It was a path I chose(ish) early on in my career when I saw it as a way to combine my love of politics with my chosen career. To be clear at the time, when I was looking for my first professional post, being picky wasn't really an option (is it for anyone?!); I took the first job offer I got. It happened to be in the Civil Service and that's where I have stayed, and for the most part it's worked out for me. What is odd about being a govt/CS/Special Librarian is that a lot of the debates and issues around Open Access have passed the sector by. It makes some sense, government libraries operate to provide a service to their department or subsection within. Researchers within will either be producing documents that can't be released for security reasons, or are released under an Open Government License on gov.uk, e.g. Home Offic

Sneezes and sniffles

Like many poor people who wish they could get more enjoyment out of the summer, I suffer from hay fever. As a child I was constantly sneezing and had tissues permanently stuffed up my cardigan sleeve. It was a rather miserable experience not helped by endless family mockery; friends I don't remember being a problem. Seriously my family are a questionable bunch.  At some point when the symptoms were particularly bad my mother and I visited Boots and looked for an potential (affordable) solution; my family didn't tend to have much money to spare. We also didn't know much about medicine, and so when we  found on the shelves a small fairly inexpensive bottle of pills for the treatment of hay fever we purchased them. This was before generic hay fever tablets could be bought 14 for a £1. The pills we bought were homeopathic; I think we thought that meant they were a herbal remedy. I took them for a while, I think more than one season, so I clearly thought they were working but